- April 10, 2020
- Posted by: Christopher Hanson
- Categories: DRE, Real Estate, Real Estate Brokers
On Thursday, April 9th the IRS published the IRS published Notice 2020-23 issuing gudiance granting deadline relief for 1031 Exchanges. The Notice from the IRS leaves some issus unclear, but we have summarized key facts below:
- Anyone that sold relinquished property and their 45-day deadline falls between April 1st and July 15th.
- Anyone that sold relinquished property and their 180-day deadline falls between April 1st and July 15th.
What is the Extension?
- The 45-day deadline has been extended to July 15th.
- The 180-day deadline has been extended to July 15th.
- Taxpayer Bob sold his property on March 1st. His day 45 deadline of 4/15 is now extended to 7/15.
- Taxpayer Sue sold her property on October 4, 2019. Her day 180 of 4/1/2020 is now extended to 7/15/2020. She does not have an extension for her day 45.
It is unclear if this will be the final guidance that the IRS issues related to 1031 Exchange deadlines.